How do I get motion and other judicial analytics to learn more about state trial court judges?
Judge Analytics - Overview - Watch Video
The Trellis database aggregates hundreds of millions of state court civil litigation Dockets and Documents from all over the country and makes them searchable and accessible from a single interface. We don’t stop there. Trellis takes all of that invaluable judicial data and case intel and extrapolates Judge Analytics to help you make strategic, data-backed litigation decisions.
Indeed, the Trellis Judge Analytics Dashboard displays all of your judge’s historical docket data, helping you to predict–amongst other metrics–the likelihood of success on crucial pre-trial motions before your judge, such as motions for summary judgment, discovery motions, and more. Most of our metrics may also be broken down by practice area and matter type.
💡 We strongly recommend that after viewing a Judge Analytics Dashboard, you then use Smart Search to further research the judge’s rulings in cases with legal issues that are similar to yours. This will help you understand the “why” of your judge’s metrics. Utilized together, Judge Analytics and Smart Search will help you gain a more holistic understanding of what your judge has done in the past so that you may better predict what they’ll do in your case.
The Judge Analytics Dashboard contains five tabs of data:
- Bio: This tab will display subjective information on your judge such as career history, political affiliation, all the articles written by and about your judge, etc. All of the publicly available information on your judge is gathered here on one page to help you make educated assumptions about the judge in general.
- At a Glance: This tab will display important high-level metrics on your judge, such as the judge’s number of active cases, average case length, overall motion grant rate, the judge’s case practice area breakdown and more. For every metric, Trellis will also give you the county average and state average so you can see where the judge is an outlier in comparison to other judges.
- Motions: This tab will display all of the granular motion-by-motion analysis for your judge, broken down by motion type. You’ll find motion grant rates and denial rates for your judge, as well as the county average and state average.
- Outcomes: This tab will display case outcome metrics, i.e., data on how cases are getting disposed of before this judge. You’ll find information on how often cases before your judge are going to jury verdict, getting removed to federal court, consolidated with other cases, etc. You can also filter by practice area and matter type. Using the information on this page, you’ll be able to set expectations on the way your case might move forward based on what’s most likely to happen according to historical data.
- Milestones: This tab will display timing analyses for your judge, such as average case duration, average time to trial, etc. You may also drill down by practice area and matter type. The information here is also helpful in setting realistic expectations for yourself and for your clients.